Tuesday 31 January 2012

First Pass Level Design

I just finished this post, then my computer had a stroke or something and I lost it.

This will be my 2nd time writing this and I hate doing that.

___

I've finished the first draft of my level.

Right now its missing a few aspects and contains some things I want to change. Mainly some proportion and placement errors with some key buildings, but additionally I need to add in some environment based challenges (like boxes and fences) in certain areas and mark out the interior sections.

Right now the level is a blueprint of how I roughly want the level to look and play, containing all the elements I wanted to add in the right places. Ill be adding to the same map before I take it into Google to make sure I am aware of all the needed elements.

Likewise I want to mark out some none usable buildings into the mix. This is more of an aesthetic choice, but since my level is set in a large city, I need it to have that large city feeling. Even if the player must follow a set path throughout it. 


Roughly, my level contains around 4-5 "set piece" moments. These are something I wanted to add to separate basic gameplay elements from level specific gameplay elements.

You all know what they are and they are there to spice up gameplay and keep the overall level interesting. 

I've also thought about focal points and where they need to be positioned in the world. I have a lot to say about that though, so I will get to that in a full focal point post later in the week. 



My initial rough sketches.

During this section I was thinking alot about pacing. Wondering how I could slow down and speed up gameplay as needed to keep the level flowing and working well.


The route throughout my world is very linear. There are no additional paths (although I planned a few on paper) so to speak, but I don't think this hinders gameplay. The level is meant to be fast past forcing the player in a specific direction. 

The open space areas will provide small amounts of freedom and choice, whilst still funneling the player into the direction I want them to take.

Ill talk about specific objectives and obstacles of the level in a separate blog post, I want this one to be a general post about pacing since its been something I've tried to focus all my energy on.

I've been doing a lot of research into game level design, specifically Mirrors Edge since both games are very similar in design. I've been playing ME a lot and trying to understand how the fellas` at DICE split up their gameplay sections and how they managed to create a seemingly free roaming environment whilst fixing the player on a constrained path.

These two presentations were of infinite help, (Thanks DICE!) :

Links:

First Person Action for Mirrors Edge

In these presentations and my research, I noticed that the key to good level design wasn't to forcibly slow the player down or speed them up to suit the designers needs. But its was to create a scenario where the right speed of play was obvious through the context of the level objective, level obstacles and level design.

MIrrors Edge does this by using interior sections. When the player enters one of these zones, it isn't advertised. They find themselves running through bare corridors with nothing blocking their path or obstructing them. This initial slows down the pace for even though the player avatar is running and moving fast, the player isn't having to react or think about their movements.

Additionally, using elevators in sections pauses gameplay essentially, almost like ending and beginning new sections from when the player enters and exits the lifts.

For my level, I wanted to think of cool ways the environment could be used to slow the player down in a way that made sense to both me and the ultimate user.

Which lead me to split my level into 6 sections, defined by the speed in which they are intended to be played and the reasons for such.

My same level split into sections exists below:

In its simplest form, my level is split into 3 slow and 3 faster sections.

Red:
The beginning section of the game. Here the player is forced to a walk and must navigate down alleys to the market district, following the games mentor character. Objectives must be completed and the area explored before the player is able to progress to the next courtyard section and enter the green zone.

Green:
Here the player is ambushed by a group of "screws" who had been tailing the playable character and co. The tempo is pushed to full speed here and is maintain through the whole section. The player must run, jump and climb through and over the environment attempting to put as much  ground between them and their chasers.

Blue:
Towards the end of the green section, the player enters an indoor section, using a flight of stairs to move up 3 levels and avoid the pursuers; at least momentarily. When the player emerges back into the outside world onto a rooftop, the play speed is instantly slowed. Now the player isn't actively being chased, there is time to act calmly. This section has the player force to a fast walk, with the camera zoomed close to the players back in an over the shoulder style. Using steam vents on the rooftops, the player must remain hidden whilst the searching forces attempt to locate the player character.


Orange:
The player is given full control of their speed once more and must platform their way across a live industrial section, timing their movements to avoid being killed by the massive pieces of machinery in work. This natural ups the tempo and danger of the level. With the world forcing the player to move quickly or result in death.

Yellow:
The final slow section of the level and somewhat the "calm before the storm" here the player enters an interior section through a window; jump through evading capture. Once outside again, a large tower mast must be climbed slowly. As the player ascends, enemies can be seen and heard closing in on the player. Tension builds until finally the mass is destroyed at its base in attempt to force the player into submission. It falls, landing crashing on the opposite building rooftop (one which the player had entered earlier in the level) and the player is free to continue.

Purple:
The final section of the game. As the player moves across the building tops during this section, enemies will increase in their number and ferocity. By the end of this section, the player will be under heavy pressure by enemies and forced to time and plan their movements whilst still keeping speed and momentum.



Ill make a post about the level walkthrough with specific Objectives and Obstacles later.

Just wanted to make my thoughts on pacing known.

Sweet Success.


1 comment:

  1. You can reclaim posts yanno, they get saved in the post editior ;')

    ReplyDelete